• Don's Home Page
• Brief Bio
• Shy Guy from Hollywood High
• PC Tips & Free Programs
• Contact Don: Phone-Email
Digital Photo Basics
- Getting Pictures from Camera into Computer
- Getting Acquainted with Irfanview
- Basic Terms: View Size vs Print Size, etc.
- Virtually Free Photography - Naming Pics, Albums
- When Digital Camera Photos Can't Be Found
- Digital Photography for Not So Digital Seniors
Crop, Resize, Align, Colors
- How to Crop and/or Resize a Photo
- Problem Enlarging Digital Pictures
- Understanding CYMK & RGB Colors
- How to Straighten (Rotate, Align) a Photo
- Darkrooms Replaced by Computers
- Be Your Own Photo Processing Studio
Adding Text to Pictures
- Adding Text to a Photo
- Text & Picture In a Word Text Box
Displaying Your Pictures
- Printing Multiple Photos on a Single Page
- Displaying Your Photos as a Slideshow
- Merging Two Graphics Into One
- When Multiple Photos Don't All Fit on a Print-Out
- Print Yourself or Have Pics Processed Elsewhere?
Online Images - Emailing Pics
- Reducing a Digital Photo's File Size
- Red X Instead of a Picture
- Reducing the File Size of a Video
- Print Yourself or Have Pics Processed Elsewhere?
- Copying Images from a Web Site or an Email
Pic Formats - File Extensions
- Digital Picture Formats (JPG, BMP, GIF, TIF, etc)
- Difference Between "Drawing" & "Painting" Programs
- Digital Cameras & Megapixelss
- Choosing File Associations for Picture Files
- Understanding "Animated GIFs"
- Comparison of JPG and GIF Image Files
More PC Help &
Can Be Found Here
Some Favorite Links
Vista Users Discovering that the
New Operating System Is Not Compatible
with All of Their Programs
Ann Marie Lorenzini wrote to say she bought a new PC with Vista pre-installed and was advised by Gateway to buy Webroot Spy Sweeper to go with it. Imagine Ann Marie’s surprise when she discovered Spy Sweeper was not compatible with Vista. Several other readers have likewise complained their favorite programs do not run on Microsoft’s new operating system.
- Trial Versions of MSOffice & WPOffice Available
- Pictures in Text Improved in MSWord 2007
- Updated Free "Yellow Stickies" Program Available
Patches are expected that will update older programs; but Vista users need to contact the individual software companies, since Microsoft has no plans to supply upgrades for programs other than its own.
Win XP users who are contemplating switching to Vista might want to wait a bit while updates are being created. However, economy-minded users will be glad to know the free OpenOffice suite (at www.OpenOffice.org) already runs on Vista.
Free Trials of MSOffice 2007 &
WordPerfect Office X3 Available
Speaking of suites, both MSOffice 2007 and WordPerfect Office X3 offer trial versions that can be freely downloaded for evaluation. I would describe the latter as being simply an improvement on an already outstanding suite. (Many argue that WPOffice has always been superior to MSOffice in dozens of ways.) Download the trial version from www.corel.com.
In any case, MSOffice 2007 is a whole new ball game, which only vaguely resembles earlier versions. So is it better than its predecessors? Well, it certainly is glitzy in its use of mini-icons and other graphics in its option choices. However, all this artwork makes the MSWord 2007 toolbar a space-hog which leaves less white space for creating a document. Personally, I prefer the relative simplicity of earlier MSWord versions.
Easy Manipulation of Pictures
in MSWord 2007
Nonetheless, one cool feature in MSWord 2007 will please folks who like to insert pictures into their documents — an image can be freely moved on a page without first being inserted into a text box. Furthermore, an inserted picture has some attractive fancy border options, and can be freely rotated to any angle.
Another cool improvement is having Page Layout displayed on the toolbar instead of mysteriously being a "File" option. When clicked, Page Layout displays every type of Border, Margin, Column, and Paragraph option you could possibly imagine.
For columnists and other writers, a helpful feature continually displays the number of words typed in a document (or in a selection) at the bottom of the page.
I could go and on, but downloading a free 60-day trial from
www.microsoft.com is the best way to learn about MSOffice 2007.
Updated Version of Free
"Stickies" Program Available
A program I find absolutely indispensible is Stickies, the free utility that lets you create "yellow stickie notes" that can be moved around on your monitor at will. Stickies are intended for temporary notes and needn’t be saved when powering down — they will remain in place until you delete them. For permanent storage you can right-click the title bar and choose from Save As options.
Well, Mona Baumgartel wrote that she had received an offer to download a new version of Stickies, but that doing so deleted the notes previously left on her monitor. So be sure to save yours before downloading Stickies 6.0b.
A link to the free program is on my home page at www.pcdon.com.
More PC Help & Various Free Programs Can Be Found Here.
© - Donald Ray Edrington - 2007 - All Rights Reserved
Contact Information on Don Can Be Found
The Andrews Sisters
Nat King Cole
Russ Columbo, Bing Crosby
Wayne King, Guy Lombardo
Singalong with Mitch Miller
Hank Snow, Hank Thompson
Eydie Gorme, Trio Los Panchos
Ana Gabriel, Rocío Dúrcal, Juan Gabriel
CeliaCruz, Ernesto Lecuona, Bienvenido Granda
Teach Me Tonight